Saturday, November 17, 2012

Happy Birthday Cousin Fiona!

I probably shouldn't admit this, since Kelly reads the blog, but I totally forgot about Fiona's birthday next week until I got an e-mail from Kelly about a birthday play-date.  I know I've been pretty lame on the birthday gift front for the past year, but I'm not pregnant any longer, so I don't have much excuse.
 
Anyway...  I came up with a cute idea for a little skirt for Fiona.  Had it gone according to plan, I would have finished the whole thing in one nap time and had time to read a book for an hour.  As it was, it took two days.  It was one of those projects where everything that could go wrong, did:  I had to sew the waist band three times because I kept running out of bobbin thread, but not realizing it until I'd finished "stitching".  Then, once the waistband was finally completed, I realized that I'd put the lining on inside-out and had to take the entire thing apart.  But then, eventually, I had this:
 
Cute, right?  Except for one thing, the waist is large enough to fit me.  I cut the elastic the right length, but the sheer volume of fabric (3 yards of tulle!) was too much for the elastic to pull together.
 
So, one more nap-time later, I've taken the whole thing apart (again) and I think we finally have a skirt that might possibly stay around Fiona's waist.

 
I bought enough fabric to make one for Cecily as well.  And, after my lining re-design, I have enough fabric to line about five more.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment